Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Life with a Chance of Odd

We all seem to be on the mend from this bug. It's to everyones shock and horror that I'm not drinking coffee right now. All day I've had little to no coffee. No coffee this morning. And only a few slurps of a sub-species of coffee from the hospital coffee shop this afternoon. It was so bad that I tossed out the "coffee" in question. Sad.. :)

We went and talked with the heart surgeon today. The surgeon was about forty minutes late, which didn't impress Dad too much. But Dr. Teodori seemed very nice and helpful. He was the first doctor I've seen that asked personal questions and acted like he actually wanted to get to know you. Most doctors I've ever had walked in shook my hand and asked, "How is school?". Almost in the same tone that most people ask, "How are you?". So that was kinda different.

Dr. Teodori made a valve replacement seem like a walk in the park. Surgery is estimated to take 6-7 hours. And he hopes to get Jake out of the hospital in 4-5 days. But it all depends on how he does. Jakes cardiologist was saying to expect a 7-10 day hospital stay. So I will be impressed if by day 6 Jake is on his way home.

Jake seems fine with the whole open heart surgery thing, it's the fact that he will have to have a tube down his throat that bothers him. But that is the only part of it that he will be awake for, so I guess I can see his concern. lol

In the elevator on the way up to meet with Dr. Teodori I ran into some comedic relief. After people piled into the elevator and the button pushing was over. One woman asked as if it mattered, "Who pushed the button for the 3rd floor!?!". A man next to me sheepishly said, "Oh, I did." Giggling at my own humor and pointing to her husband I said, "Oh, no he just got a little button happy!" She didn't get it. She just quickly looked at her husbands shirt buttons and asked if his button were misbuttoned. About a two floors later she got it! My Mom goes, "Oh don't worry, being at the hospital all day will do that to you." She then told us of how they had been in the hospital for the last five months and how her husband had been in a comma for three of those months! LOL The moral of the story.. Don't make jokes in the elevator with a man who's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top. :D

No comments: