Friday, November 7, 2008

When Acknowlegdement Hits the Road::..


Pain, plagues my body after a day of cleaning the yard. My family and I made a significant improvement in the front but the back still has weeds that rival the height of Jack's bean stalk.


I still have to finish Bible Institute and study for my biology quiz on Monday.


For Bible Institute this week I have to expound on last weeks ten minute lesson of Proverbs 3:5-5 and make it a twenty minute lesson.

Picking up right where I left off last week.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge in Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Looking at what the word acknowledge means opened up my whole pyridine of that verse. Let me tell you, that verse makes for a great memory verse when your in Awana's but it hits you hard when you grow up.

I know God has slowly been working on me, making it clear to me where in my life I'm not acknowledging Him. One of the HUGE things on that list is my future.

Since I was young I have been one of those people who always liked to have a plan of action. And as I've gotten older I've made attempts to stay that way. But God is slowly working my future out from my tight grasp, forcing me to turn it over to Him. Because in all honesty I don't know what else to do.

What if the plans God has for me is different then what most people had hoped for me? Will I be exiled? Trust me that has been a huge question on my mind. But even if I am exiled, I can take assurance that God has a plan and a purpose for it.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 (NIV) For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

If I acknowledge God I'm able to see that He has great plans for me. Even when those plans might not look right to me. Also I can talk to God and seek him out. Knowing that He will always be there for me no matter who else is.

God is a place of shelter. And when I need refuge I can run to Him with open arms and know that I won't be rejected like the world would have me be. Even when the people and circumstances change and I feel like I have no place to turn, God is there.

Isaiah 25:4 (NIV) You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat. For the breath of the ruthless is like a storm driving against a wall

There have been times in my life that I have been spiritually needy. Personally those times aren't something I enjoy and if ever possible I would like to never return to that place but I think that state is where God does some of His best work on peoples hearts.

Walking onto the college campus is like walking onto the front lines of spiritual warfare and if your not acknowledging God your going to be chewed up and spit out. Every day the enemy donnes their armor.

But what am I shielding myself with?

I've been keeping a prayer journal and trying to read a few pages of Bible each day but on days that I miss that time with God I can see a difference in my attitude. A void feeling takes over me and when my mouth opens I tend to be ugly to people. Doesn't matter who I'm speaking to everything coming out of my mouth sounds bad.

Ephesians 6:14-15 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

When I have that morning fellowship with God. I'm standing firm in God's word and I know that I'm acknowledging God. Were as on mornings that I miss out on that time, I'm like a loose cannon and who knows who might get hit.


Acknowledging God comes in all areas of your life. An intimate relationship with God starts by simply trusting Him. And slowly as the relationship grows your willingness to trust Him with more areas of your life expands. Giving over parts of your life to God to do what He wills is rough at times but you can take comfort that it will always be for your good.


Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

No comments: