Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Birthday



This morning has unseasonably cool weather. Which is amazing! For a long time I sat outside and prayed, drank coffee and read my Bible. Now I'm inside, with the windows open and I have a sweat shirt on! Does that not sound uncharacteristic for this time of year, or what? But it is lovely.

Last Saturday was my twentieth birthday. Quite the scary thought, but I had a lot of fun! After my Mom drug me to the home school book sale with her. My family and I went down to Patagonia. What an excursion that was.

We drove down and had lunch in the small town of Patagonia. It's really pretty in that valley. Big leafy trees and nice cool weather. Only down side is that most of the shops are stocked with "one of a kind" art work that is highly over priced. Someone put random odds and ends together and wanted 350$ for it! Lets just say there was plenty of looking but little buying. After lunch and browsing around the town we went over to Patagonia lake. I was wanting to ride the paddle boats. I think it is such a shame that I was twenty and had never gotten to play in a paddle boat.

My family ran into a few different problems. First, Dad used his last five dollars to buy a trinket in town. This would have been fine if the rest of us had remembered before hand about the seven or eight dollar entrance fee to get into to the lake. So we spent twenty minutes pulled over to the side of the road trying to find all the change we possibly could in the car. Three dollar bills and lots and lots of change later we had almost exactly eight dollars, which was a good thing because the weekend charge was eight dollars. Mom and I were laughing hysterically but Dad wasn't quite as entertained as the rest of us. Once we got to the entrance Dad says to the park ranger.

"Alright, be prepared we are going to give you a lot of change."

The park ranger replied. "Um, Sir. You do realize that we take debt cards?..."

Needless to say Dad whipped out the card. We kept the change.

Then secondly, Jacob wanted to race the boats. Mom and I wanted to keep the race fair. So much for that. Dad and Jake were in one and the two of us in the other. And the wind was really, really strong. Dad and Jake were loop sided because of the weight difference. So poor Dad was soaked, shoes and all! It was a struggle to get the boat to navigate the wind that was trying to force us back.

But it was a day long adventure.

No comments: